Member of Chambers Profile
Year of Call: 2007
Leo practises in London in all areas of criminal and regulatory law. He appears in multi-handed cases of serious violence, crimes against public justice, conspiracy, armed robbery, human trafficking, fraud, complex deception, immigration crime, firearms, sexual and drugs offences. He has been instructed in cases concerning allegations of murder, manslaughter and driving offences resulting in death.
He is a Grade 3 CPS panel advocate and specialist rape counsel.
He has acted as leading as well as led junior counsel and has considerable experience of appearing in large multi-defendant cases involving complex scientific, forensic and telecommunications evidence as well as sensitive matters of disclosure and pro-active police investigations.
He is instructed to appear in the High Court - in both regulatory and criminal matters and in the Court of Appeal.
Notable cases include:
• R-v-R - currently instructed to prosecute allegation of murder of an infant
• Op Digamy – 6-handed drugs conspiracy
• Op Ranji – 14-handed “county lines” drugs conspiracy
• R-v-X&X – Prosecuting husband and wife’s campaign of sexual abuse on their children
• R-v-Trainer – Prosecuting historic case of sexual abuse upon multiple children
• R-v-Biggs - instructed as junior alone to prosecute serial sex attacks on strangers
• R-v-Hunt - instructed as junior alone to prosecute multiple allegations of extra-jurisdictional child sex offences
• Operations Montlake & Rikaho - 9-handed drugs and kidnap conspiracy
• R-v-S - ‘baby-shaking’ allegation involving the evidence of 10 medical experts
• Operation Odin - leading junior in 14-handed drugs conspiracy
• R-v-Hillier & others - secured the acquittal of the defendant in a multi-million pound drugs conspiracy
• R-v-Smith & others - 6-handed conspiracy to commit armed robbery
• R-v-Bailey & otrs - 8-handed multi-million pound conspiracy to import cocaine
• R-v-Nahar & otrs - 8-handed conspiracy to steal high value cars
• R-v-Tijani, Tijani and Tijani - £¾m advance fee fraud
• Operation Camuston - 7-handed human trafficking case
• Operation Canova - 10-handed immigration fraud
• Operation Decker - 9-handed conspiracy involving the Ladbroke Grove ’blood gang’
• Operation Benderoth - nationwide conspiracy to burgle
• R-v-Bhatti & otrs - an enormous immigration fraud under cover of a network of sham educational institutions
• R-v-Chen & otrs - international kidnap conspiracy
• R-v-Kerridge & Woods - disclosure junior in HM Land Registry fraud
He is authorised by the Bar Council to undertake public access / direct access work.
Leo graduated with first class honours in biology from the University of Leeds - ranked first in year. He studied medical anthropology - MSc at Oxford University before completing the Graduate Diploma in Law and Bar Vocational Course at BPP Law School. He is a Hardwicke Scholar, Sir Thomas More Bursar and Wolfson Scholar of Lincoln's Inn.