Member of Chambers Profile
Year of Call: 2001
Tom is a leading criminal barrister, with a reputation for the thoroughness of his preparation and excellence of his advocacy.
His expertise extends to the following areas:-
The prosecution of complex, multi-handed or sensitive police/SOCA operations.
- Sole prosecution counsel for over 40 defendants in Operation Benbradagh, a major undercover drugs operation pioneering this jurisdiction’s use of long-term community infiltration.
- In March 2010 he was awarded a commendation by the Home Secretary for the professional presentation of the Crown’s case in Operation Hornblower, a major investigation into Afghan people-smuggling.
- Junior counsel for the Crown in Operation Opaco, regarded as the largest ecstasy seizure in this country (along with 14 kilos of cocaine).
- Junior counsel for the Crown in a number of firearms trials, investigated by the Trident specialist police unit, involving sensitive PII and operational issues.
- Cases with complex legal issues, such as the use of s.20 OAP 1861 to prosecute those ‘recklessly’ infecting their partners with HIV – appeared for the Crown in the Court of Appeal in R v Porter, a case of national media interest (the ‘Aids Avenger’).
Defending serious or difficult cases
- Experienced at representing police officers, for example fatal/near fatal accidents involving police officers responding to 999 calls.
- Experienced at defending those charged with serious sexual offences, such as a 16yr old charged with the rape of his 6yr old brother
- Expertise in all aspects of road traffic offences, including drink-driving and intoximeter challenges.
- Regularly instructed to deal with ‘difficult’ clients, such as those with mental or physical health difficulties.
- Firearms – BASC recommended counsel, specialising in firearms revocation appeals and ‘antique’ defences.
- Experienced advocate in both police and prison disciplinary tribunals
- Proficiency in liquor licensing under the new regime.
- Tom was awarded the Prince of Wales scholarship from Gray’s Inn.
- He was awarded the Blackstone Prize for academic distinction in the PGDL from Nottingham Law School (2nd in year)
- He graduated with First Class Honours in English Literature and Latin from Durham University.
R v Niazi &Ors
Represented the Crown in a series of Afghan people-smuggling trials, leading to a commendation from the Home Secretary for the professional presentation of the case.
R v B
Represented defendant charged with two counts of s.18 GBH, causing permanent brain damage.
R v Stokes&Ors
Represented the Crown in this massive SOCA drugs conspiracy case, with complex PII and disclosure issues.
R –v- Porter
Represented the Crown in the Court of Appeal following the conviction of Sarah Porter for infecting her lover with the HIV virus, contrary to Section 20 OAP 1861, a case of international media interest.
R v X
Represented a defendant who had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, having killed a 73 year old lady in Brighton.
R –v- Ogilvie
Represented the Crown at a trial and in the Court of Appeal following conviction for burglary in a case issuing guidance regarding timing witnesses’ recollection of events.
R –v- Hocking
Represented a police officer who had knocked down and killed a milkman when answering a 999 emergency call.
R –v- Roberts
Junior for the Crown in a 2-week trial before Mr Justice Aikens involving a series of armed robberies by a terminally ill man.
R –v- Davenport
Prosecuted Croydon’s ground-breaking use of external video-link for a paralysed victim of domestic violence, building an expertise in the forensic use of technology.
R –v- X
Defended a 16 year old youth for multiple counts of rape against his 6 year old brother.
- Submitted a paper on behalf of the CBA to the Joint Committee in the House of Lords on the Corruption Bill
- Submitted a published paper in response to the Government White Paper regarding payments to witnesses in criminal cases.
- Submitted an article to the BASC regarding the law on appeals following the revocation / refusal of a firearms or shotgun certificate.
- Member of the CBA and Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers